Current:Home > InvestTrump asks a court to prevent Michigan secretary of state from leaving his name off the 2024 ballot -OceanicInvest
Trump asks a court to prevent Michigan secretary of state from leaving his name off the 2024 ballot
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 03:59:58
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Former President Donald Trump is asking a court to prevent Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson from leaving his name off the 2024 primary ballot.
In a filing made Monday in the Michigan Court of Claims, Trump’s attorneys also want the court to declare that Benson has neither the duty nor authority to assess Trump’s constitutional qualifications to serve as president.
Trump’s filing is in response to efforts by activists in Michigan who have asked a judge to order Benson to keep his name off any ballot for president. They point to a section of the U.S. Constitution’s 14th Amendment that prohibits a person from running for federal office if they have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the U.S. or given aid or comfort to those who have.
Last week, a Court of Claims judge denied Trump’s request to dismiss their lawsuit, the Detroit Free Press reported.
The activists’ efforts mirror others around the nation that paint Trump as the inciter of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, which was intended to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential election win.
A lawsuit in Colorado also is focusing on the Constitution’s “insurrection” clause to bar Trump from that state’s 2024 ballot. Lawyers representing six Republican and unaffiliated Colorado voters argue that Trump’s violent rhetoric preceding the attack makes him culpable.
A hearing also is scheduled this week before the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Monday’s Michigan filing by Trump called the events of Jan. 6, 2021 “a riot.”
“They were not an ‘insurrection’ for purposes of section three of the Fourteenth Amendment,” Trump’s lawyers wrote. “They did not amount to levying war against the United States. Even if the events of January 6, 2021, could constitute an ‘insurrection’ (they do not), President Trump did not ‘engage’ in it. ‘Engaging’ requires some level of active participation. Inaction is not sufficient.”
Trump is considered the leading candidate for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
“Despite President Trump’s tremendous popularity, there are people who want to deny Michigan voters the opportunity to express their choice by voting for him,” according to Trump’s Michigan filing. “To accomplish this, they want the secretary of state to violate her duties and exercise powers she does not have to keep President Trump’s name off of the ballot. And they want to use this court as a vehicle to do it.”
Benson’s office said Tuesday that it could not comment on pending litigation.
veryGood! (81)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- How Fox News and CNN covered 'catastrophic' Trump rally shooting
- Active shooter incidents in US slightly down in 2023 but deaths up, FBI report shows
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score? Indiana Fever rally to beat Minnesota Lynx
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Georgia county says slave descendants can’t use referendum to challenge rezoning of island community
- Judge removed from long-running gang and racketeering case against rapper Young Thug and others
- Second day of jury deliberations to start in Sen. Bob Menendez’s bribery trial
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Trump's family reacts to assassination attempt: 'I love you Dad'
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, July 14, 2024
- When does a presumptive nominee become a nominee? Here’s how Donald Trump will make it official
- Rare switch-pitcher Jurrangelo Cijntje 'down to do everything' for Mariners after MLB draft
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Battered by Hurricane Idalia last year, Florida village ponders future as hurricane season begins
- Samsung announces Galaxy Z Fold6 and Z Flip6. Is it time to get a foldable smartphone?
- As fall tuition bills drop, Gen Z's not ready to pay for college this year, survey says
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Shannen Doherty's Charmed Costar Brian Krause Shares Insight Into Her Final Days
Boston lawyer once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ is sentenced to 5-10 years for raping 21-year-old
Greg Sankey keeps door cracked to SEC expansion with future of ACC uncertain
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Messi’s Copa America injury adds doubt for rest of 2024, 2026 World Cup
Watch live as assassination investigation unfolds after shooting at Trump rally Saturday
Trump documents case dismissed by federal judge