Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Trump faces jail threat over gag order as prosecutors zero in on transactions at heart of the case -OceanicInvest
Will Sage Astor-Trump faces jail threat over gag order as prosecutors zero in on transactions at heart of the case
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:11:06
NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump returns to his hush money trial Tuesday facing a threat of jail time for additional gag order violations as prosecutors gear up to summon big-name witnesses in the final weeks of the case.
Stormy Daniels,Will Sage Astor the porn actor who has said she had a sexual encounter with Trump, and Michael Cohen, the former Trump lawyer and personal fixer who prosecutors say paid her to keep silent in the final weeks of the 2016 presidential campaign, are among those who have yet to take the stand but are expected to in the coming weeks.
The jury on Monday heard from two witnesses, including a former Trump Organization controller who provided a mechanical but vital recitation of how the company reimbursed payments that were allegedly meant to suppress embarrassing stories from surfacing and then logged them as legal expenses in a manner that Manhattan prosecutors say broke the law.
The testimony from Jeffrey McConney yielded an important building block for prosecutors trying to pull back the curtain on what they say was a corporate records cover-up of transactions designed to protect Trump’s presidential bid during a pivotal stretch of the race. It focused on a $130,000 payment from Cohen to Daniels and the subsequent reimbursement Cohen received.
McConney and another witness testified that the reimbursement checks were drawn from Trump’s personal account. Yet even as jurors witnessed the checks and other documentary evidence, prosecutors did not elicit testimony Monday showing that Trump himself dictated that the payments would be logged as legal expenses, a designation that prosecutors contend was intentionally deceptive.
McConney acknowledged during cross-examination that Trump never asked him to log the reimbursements as legal expenses or discussed the matter with him at all. Another witness, Deborah Tarasoff, a Trump Organization accounts payable supervisor, said under questioning that she did not get permission to cut the checks in question from Trump himself.
“You never had any reason to believe that President Trump was hiding anything or anything like that?” Trump attorney Todd Blanche asked.
”Correct,” Tarasoff replied.
The testimony followed a stern warning from Judge Juan M. Merchan that additional violations of a gag order barring Trump from inflammatory out-of-court comments about witnesses, jurors and others closely connected to the case could result in jail time.
The $1,000 fine imposed Monday marks the second time since the trial began last month that Trump has been sanctioned for violating the gag order. He was fined $9,000 last week, $1,000 for each of nine violations.
“It appears that the $1,000 fines are not serving as a deterrent. Therefore going forward, this court will have to consider a jail sanction,” Merchan said before jurors were brought into the courtroom. Trump’s statements, the judge added, “threaten to interfere with the fair administration of justice and constitute a direct attack on the rule of law. I cannot allow that to continue.”
Trump sat forward in his seat, glowering at the judge as he handed down the ruling. When the judge finished speaking, Trump shook his head twice and crossed his arms.
Yet even as Merchan warned of jail time in his most pointed and direct admonition, he also made clear his reservations about a step that he described as a “last resort.”
“The last thing I want to do is put you in jail,” Merchan said. “You are the former president of the United States and possibly the next president as well. There are many reasons why incarceration is truly a last resort for me. To take that step would be disruptive to these proceedings.”
The latest violation stems from an April 22 interview with television channel Real America’s Voice in which Trump criticized the speed at which the jury was picked and claimed, without evidence, that it was stacked with Democrats.
Prosecutors are continuing to build toward their star witness, Cohen, who pleaded guilty to federal charges related to the hush money payments. He is expected to undergo a bruising cross-examination from defense attorneys seeking to undermine his credibility with jurors.
___
Tucker reported from Washington.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Wake Up and Enjoy This Look Inside the 2024 Met Gala
- Bear dragged crash victim's body from car in woods off Massachusetts highway, police say
- Nintendo to announce Switch successor in this fiscal year as profits rise
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Tina Knowles Shares Rare Update on Beyoncé and Jay-Z's Twins Rumi and Sir
- Tom Selleck's memoir details top-secret Reno wedding, Princess Diana dance drama
- Chicago Sky's Kamilla Cardoso, No. 3 pick in WNBA draft, out 4-6 weeks with shoulder injury
- 'Most Whopper
- Zendaya Debuts Edgiest Red Carpet Look Yet at Met Gala 2024
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Bernie Sanders says Gaza may be Joe Biden’s Vietnam. But he’s ready to battle for Biden over Trump
- Pamela Anderson stepped out in makeup at the Met Gala. Here's why it's a big deal.
- Taylor Swift is about to go back on tour: Here's what to expect on the Eras Tour in Paris
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Man arrested after two women were fatally shot, 10-month-old girl abducted in New Mexico
- A Rare Dose of Hope for the Colorado River as New Study Says Future May Be Wetter
- 2024 Pulitzer Prizes announced: See full list of winners, nominees
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
‘Words matter:' Titles, Trump and what to call a former president
Australian boy killed by police was in deradicalization program since causing school explosion
Australian boy killed by police was in deradicalization program since causing school explosion
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Social Security projected to cut benefits in 2035 barring a fix
Miss USA Noelia Voigt suddenly resigns, urges people to prioritize mental health
Kendall Jenner, Cardi B and More 2024 Met Gala After-Party Fashion Moments You Need to See