Current:Home > ScamsFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group -OceanicInvest
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:14:17
BOGOTA,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government and the rebel group know as FARC-EMC on Monday signed a three-month cease-fire and formally began peace talks, as President Gustavo Petro tries to bolster his plans to pacify rural areas ahead of regional elections that will take place at the end of October.
In an event that took place in the township of Tibu, near Colombia’s border with Venezuela, both sides also agreed to cease attacks on civilians and set up a group that will monitor the cease-fire and could include United Nations personnel.
“Peace today seems to have been eclipsed when sirens, bombs, shouts of pain and desperation can be heard in places like the Middle East, Europe or sub-Saharan Africa” said Camilo González, the government’s lead negotiator. “These peace talks (in Colombia) are a bet on life and freedom.”
FARC-EMC are currently Colombia’s third largest armed group, with around 3,500 members. The group is led by left-wing guerrilla fighters who refused to join a 2016 peace deal between Colombia’s government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia in which more than 12,000 rebels laid down their guns.
The talks with the FARC-EMC are part of President Petro’s total peace strategy, which includes negotiating with various armed groups.
Colombia’s government in June signed a 6-month cease-fire with the National Liberation Army, the country’s largest remaining guerrilla group. But talks with the Gulf Clan, the nation’s second largest armed group, broke down earlier this year as the military cracked down on illegal mining in a region controlled by that organization.
FARC-EMC said in September that they will not interfere in municipal and provincial elections that will be held on October 29. Their leaders argued that they wanted to give the government a gesture of good will, as both sides tried to broker a cease-fire.
Last year, on December 31, President Petro ordered his troops to stop attacks on the FARC-EMC. But that cease-fire broke down in May after the rebels killed three teenagers from an Indigenous community who had been forcibly recruited and were trying to escape from one of the group’s camps.
Jorge Restrepo, a Colombian security analyst, said that the current cease-fire could take some time to implement, because FARC-EMC operates as a coalition of different rebel units, each with its own interests.
“There are disputes between the different groups that make up the EMC,” Restrepo said. “So that could limit the effect of the cease-fire on rural communities.”
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (486)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- FACT FOCUS: Images made to look like court records circulate online amid Epstein document release
- Body found in freezer at San Diego home may have been woman missing for years, police say
- Trump asks Supreme Court to overturn Colorado ruling barring him from primary ballot
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Fire at home of Dolphins receiver Tyreek Hill started by child playing with cigarette lighter
- 'Are you looking for an Uber?' Police arrest theft suspect who tried to escape via rideshare
- Steve Burton exits 'Days of Our Lives' 1 year after reprising role
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Sandra Bullock Spreads Late Partner Bryan Randall's Ashes in Wyoming
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Woman convicted of murder after driving over her fiance in a game of chicken and dragging him 500 feet, U.K. police say
- Trump lawyers urge court to hold special counsel Jack Smith in contempt in 2020 election case
- Michigan vs. Washington national title game marks the end of college football as we know it
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Putin speeds up a citizenship path for foreigners who enlist in the Russian military
- Senegal’s opposition leader faces setback in presidential race after defamation conviction is upheld
- New York City is suing charter bus companies for transporting migrants from Texas
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
President of Belarus gives himself immunity from prosecution and limits potential challengers
Pro Bowl 2024 rosters announced: 49ers lead way with nine NFL all-star players
New year, new quiz. Can you believe stuff has already happened in 2024?!
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
King’s daughter says wars, gun violence, racism have pushed humanity to the brink
SpaceX accused of unlawfully firing employees who were critical of Elon Musk
Where the Republican presidential candidates stand on the economy