Current:Home > MarketsChicago mayor names new school board after entire panel resigns amid a fight over district control -OceanicInvest
Chicago mayor names new school board after entire panel resigns amid a fight over district control
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:53:49
CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson appointed a new school board Monday, days after all seven members resigned amid an escalating fight over control of the public schools in the nation’s third-largest city.
Johnson has been trying to oust Chicago Public Schools CEO Pedro Martinez, who was named to the job in 2021 by Johnson’s predecessor, former Mayor Lori Lightfoot. Johnson, a former Chicago Teachers Union organizer, has clashed with Martinez, including over how best to close gaps in the district’s nearly $10 billion budget. Martinez has declined to resign, citing the need for stability in the district.
Rather than step into the fray, all seven members announced their resignations on Friday — a stunning move during the tenure of a mayor who has touted his experience with schools and education equity in the largely low income district. The current members, whose resignations will take effect at the end of the month, were handpicked by Johnson in 2023, months after he took office.
“I’m confident that these new candidates will work to lead CPS into the world class school system that our children deserve,” Johnson said during a news conference Monday at a South Side church led by Bishop Larry Trotter, an influential Black Chicago pastor who has praised Johnson and his efforts in education..
Many of the new appointments won’t last long, as Chicago is poised to hold its first school board elections next month, installing a 21-member hybrid board of elected and mayor-appointed members until 2027, when it will be fully elected.
The shakeup comes as contract talks between the city and the powerful teachers union have stalled. The district has offered 4% raises this year, and between 4% and 5% raises in each of the next three years, while the union has sought 9% annual raises.
After the Democratic-led Legislature rejected Johnson’s requests for more state funding earlier this year, he pitched taking out a $300 million short-term, high-interest loan to cover costs. Martinez refused, calling it fiscally irresponsible. The district has been considering furloughs and other budget cuts for the current year, though details have not been finalized.
The school board passes the roughly 325,000-student district’s budget, confirms its CEO, and approves its policies and contracts.
The new seven-person board will remain in place until a 21-person, partially elected board takes over in January.
Before the new board members were announced, protesters in the church waved signs that said “Fire Brandon” and chanted “Not Legit!” in reference to the appointments. They were led out before the mayor started speaking.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Senator Tammy Duckworth calls on FAA to reject Boeing's request for safety waiver for the 737 Max 7
- It's Apple Macintosh's 40th birthday: How the historic computer compares with tech today
- North Macedonia’s government resigns ahead of general elections
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Alabama set to execute inmate with nitrogen gas, a never before used method
- Lauren Boebert to argue her case in first Republican primary debate after hopping districts
- Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan to become head coach of Los Angeles Chargers
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- At least 50 villagers shot dead in latest violence in restive northern Nigerian state of Plateau
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Czech lawmakers reject international women’s rights treaty
- Pakistan accuses Indian agents of orchestrating the killing of 2 citizens on its soil
- Robitussin cough syrup recall issued nationwide due to microbial contamination
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- US and UK sanction four Yemeni Houthi leaders over Red Sea shipping attacks
- DEI attacks pose threats to medical training, care
- Biden campaign tries to put abortion in the forefront. But pro-Palestinian protesters interrupted.
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Harbaugh returning to NFL to coach Chargers after leading Michigan to national title, AP sources say
Binge and bail: How 'serial churners' save money on Netflix, Hulu and Disney
Coco Gauff set for US Open final rematch with Aryna Sabalenka at Australian Open semifinals
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
5 members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey team to face sexual assault charges, report says
iOS 17.3 release: Apple update includes added theft protection, other features
What is Jim Harbaugh's NFL record? Everything you need to know about Chargers new coach