Current:Home > InvestBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -OceanicInvest
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:23:46
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Justice Dept. makes arrests in North Korean identity theft scheme involving thousands of IT workers
- Actor Angie Harmon sues Instacart and its delivery driver for fatally shooting her dog
- Lifesaving plan: How to back up and secure your medical records
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Michigan beginning alcohol sales at football games following successful rollouts at its other venues
- Brittany Mahomes makes her Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue debut
- Review: Proudly bizarre 'I Saw the TV Glow will boggle your mind – and that's the point
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- The latest hot spot for illegal border crossings is San Diego. But routes change quickly
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Lawyer for family of slain US Air Force airman says video and calls show deputy went to wrong home
- Actor Angie Harmon sues Instacart and its delivery driver for fatally shooting her dog
- Blinken’s Kyiv song choice raises eyebrows as Ukraine fights fierce Russian attacks
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- They survived Maui's deadly wildfires. Now many are suffering from food insecurity and deteriorating health.
- A Palestinian converted to Judaism. An Israeli soldier saw him as a threat and opened fire
- 'Never resurfaced': 80 years after Pearl Harbor, beloved 'Cremo' buried at Arlington
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Rock band Cage the Elephant emerge from loss and hospitalization with new album ‘Neon Pill’
Ex-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker wins court fight over release of text messages
Simone Biles is stepping into the Olympic spotlight again. She is better prepared for the pressure
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Matt Gaetz evokes ‘standing by’ language adopted by Proud Boys as he attends court with Donald Trump
Maria Shriver Calls Out Harrison Butker for Demeaning Graduation Speech
All things being equal, Mystik Dan should win Preakness. But all things are not equal.