Current:Home > StocksUtah Legislature to revise social media limits for youth as it navigates multiple lawsuits -OceanicInvest
Utah Legislature to revise social media limits for youth as it navigates multiple lawsuits
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 03:13:55
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah’s Republican legislative leaders took aim at social media companies on the opening day of the state’s 2024 legislative session, pledging to reinforce laws they passed last year to require parental permission for kids to access social media apps.
The two laws, signed last March by Republican Gov. Spencer Cox, have been hit with multiple lawsuits challenging their constitutionality. They require age verification for anyone in the state who wants to create a social media account, which critics say could compromise users’ data security. The laws also set a statewide social media curfew, prohibiting minors from using the apps between 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. unless authorized by a parent, and give parents access to their children’s accounts.
With both laws set to take effect March 1, Republicans say they are prioritizing revisions during their annual 45-day work session to ensure they hold up in court.
In his opening address Tuesday, Republican Senate President Stuart Adams reaffirmed his support for shielding children and teens from targeted advertisements and online content that might affect their well-being.
“We will continue to lead the nation in protecting kids against social media, and we will hold social media companies accountable for the harm that they are inflicting upon our youth,” Adams said. “We will stand for our children and proudly fight any litigation.”
A new federal lawsuit filed this week builds upon challenges brought last month by NetChoice — a trade group representing major social media companies like TikTok, Meta and X, formerly known as Twitter — which argues that the Utah laws require all social media users in the state, not just minors, to share an excess of personal data to confirm their age and identity.
The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, a nonprofit civil liberties group, is now focusing on how the laws might limit free speech and information access. The plaintiffs in their lawsuit include an LGBTQ+ high school student, a mental health content creator and two advocates who escaped a polygamous community. They warn the laws will disproportionately impact Utah’s most vulnerable youth, cutting them off from support and educational resources that could be life-saving.
Among them is Lu Ann Cooper, co-founder of the organization Hope After Polygamy, who was raised in a polygamous family in Utah and said she was coerced to marry her first cousin when she was only 15 years old. Since escaping, she has used social media to help girls in similar situations.
For Utah high school student Hannah Zoulek, who identifies as queer, the laws could limit her ability to connect with her community online. She worries they also could endanger closeted LGBTQ+ youths by removing the option of anonymity and granting their parents access to their accounts.
“Growing up already isn’t easy, and the government making it harder to talk with people who have similar experiences to mine just makes it even more difficult,” Zoulek said.
The laws also create new pathways for parents to sue social media companies for causing their children harm. The burden of proof now falls on those companies to demonstrate that their products are not hurting kids.
Any social media platform with at least 5 million users is subject to the new regulations, and companies that do not comply face steep fines.
Cox and the Republican legislative leaders said they are not afraid of the legal challenges and pointed to studies demonstrating how social media can harm youth mental health. But while the office of Attorney General Sean Reyes fends off the legal challenges in court, lawmakers are busy drafting replacement language that Sen. Kirk Cullimore said should eliminate the free speech issues raised in the complaints.
In the meantime, the Sandy Republican has introduced a bill delaying when the social media laws would take effect, pushing back the date from March 1 to Oct. 1 to give lawmakers more time to make changes. NetChoice has asked a federal judge to halt the laws from taking effect while the cases move through the legal system.
Federal judges have temporarily blocked Arkansas and Ohio from enforcing their state laws requiring parental consent for minors to create new social media accounts.
The attorney general’s office said Tuesday it is still reviewing the new lawsuit and has no comment at this time.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Salmonella linked to recalled cucumbers could be two separate strains; FDA, CDC investigate
- Ground black pepper sold nationwide recalled for possible salmonella risk, FDA says
- Reese Witherspoon Reacts After Nicole Kidman Forgets Her Real Name
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Israeli settlers in the West Bank were hit with international sanctions. It only emboldened them
- How Brittany Cartwright Really Feels About Jax Taylor Dating Again After Their Breakup
- Will Smith, Martin Lawrence look back on 30 years of 'Bad Boys': 'It's a magical cocktail'
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Man charged with killing Indiana police officer dies in prison while awaiting trial
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Walmart announces annual bonus payments for full- and part-time US hourly workers
- Lady Gaga addresses pregnancy rumors with cheeky TikTok: 'Register to vote'
- Ex-Detroit Riverfront CFO embezzled $40M, spent funds on lavish lifestyle, prosecutors say
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Suzanne Collins Volunteers As Tribute To Deliver Another Hunger Games Novel
- World Cup skier and girlfriend dead after tragic mountain accident in Italy, sports officials say
- Trump to campaign in Arizona following hush money conviction
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Jelly Roll says weight loss journey was inspired by wanting to have a baby with Bunnie XO
D-Day 80th anniversary: See historical photos from 1944 invasion of Normandy beaches
NCAA baseball super regionals teams ranked as 16 teams fight for College World Series
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Jessica Alba Reveals How She and Cash Warren Reconnected After Previous Breakup
Watch rescuers save two dogs trapped on the flooded streets of Brazil
All-access NHL show is coming from the makers of ‘Formula 1: Drive to Survive’