Current:Home > MarketsAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says -OceanicInvest
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 07:31:02
DAKAR,Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center Senegal (AP) — A lawyer for Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko said Thursday that the detained politician had regained consciousness but remains “in a very precarious condition” on hunger strike.
Sonko, a popular figure with young Senegalese who placed third in the last presidential election, first began refusing food after he was placed in detention in late July. He later suspended the protest measure following mediation but resumed a hunger strike on Oct. 17, according to lawyer Juan Branco.
Branco told The Associated Press that the opposition leader “is still being treated by a resuscitation team with the risk of a major relapse.” That assessment comes after Sonko’s supporters said earlier this week he had lapsed into a coma.
Sonko’s supporters believe the slew of criminal allegations brought against him since 2021 are part of an orchestrated campaign to derail his political aspirations ahead of a presidential election in February.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
The government has not commented on Sonko’s health since August, when he was transferred to a hospital “presenting a general weakness linked to his refusal to eat.” He was later transferred to the intensive care unit for treatment before suspending his strike after the mediation effort.
Sonko was removed from the electoral roll by the Interior Ministry following his conviction. But this decision was overturned by a judge in the southern city of Ziguinchor, who ordered that he be allowed to have sponsorship forms for the presidential election in the same way as other candidates.
Sonko’s chances of taking part in the upcoming election are uncertain, as the Supreme Court has yet to rule on the decision taken by the judge of the Ziguinchor district court.
veryGood! (953)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- The end of school closings? New York City used online learning, not a snow day. It didn’t go well
- Uncle Eli has sage advice for Texas backup quarterback Arch Manning: Be patient
- Hiker kills coyote with his bare hands after attack; tests confirm the animal had rabies
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- The Best Luxury Bath Towels of 2024 That Are So Soft, They Feel Like Clouds
- Veteran police officer named new Indianapolis police chief, weeks after being named acting chief
- Inflation might have dropped below 3% last month for 1st time in 3 years, a milestone for Biden
- Average rate on 30
- Democrats seek to strengthen majority in Pennsylvania House as voters cast ballots
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Real Housewives' Melissa Gorga Is “Very Picky” About Activewear, but She Loves This $22 Sports Bra
- Maine mass shooting commission gets subpoena power
- The Best Cowboy Boots You’ll Want to Wrangle Ahead of Festival Season
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- New medical school for University of Georgia approved by state Board of Regents
- Houston shooter at Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church had 2 rifles, police say
- Cetaphil turns stolen Super Bowl ad claims into partnership with creator who accused company
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Get Clean, White Teeth & Fresh Breath with These Genius Dental Products
Funerals getting underway in Georgia for 3 Army Reserve soldiers killed in Jordan drone attack
How Hollywood art directors are working to keep their sets out of the landfill
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
What is Galentine's Day? Ideas for celebrating the Valentine's Day alternative with your besties
His prison sentence was 60-150 years. But Native American Efrain Hidalgo is finally free.
How Bachelor's Sarah Herron Is Learning to Embrace Her Pregnancy After Son Oliver's Death